Sunday, August 06, 2006

An odd but satisfying day...

Today was a bit odd...

Since we've lived in Red State before, everything is pretty familiar --but somethings have changed in the last four years. We keep noticing them as we go around town.... there is a new Target store here, a new Jamba Juice there -- a Pottery Barn and a Bonefish Grill over that a way... it is kind of odd, like when you realize your kid sister is an adult who can drive and have sex and stuff...

Hubby got the house lesson today, and (bless him) I was excused to go to my undergrad library to get some work done.... which I did. The place is dingy, kind of dark and under construction, but it is like my second home and I love it. I also get good work done there... probably a good vibe or something.

At the library I settled on a new topic --(anybody have insights into the Supreme Emergency Execption to non-combatant immunity in wartime they'd like to share... especially if you are a Kantian or virtue ethics person, speak up..... after a good library session we had dinner with some old friends at a good Italian place.

The friends are up on all the shopping news in town, and they told me that there is an Apple Store coming to Red State --- and that there is significant talk of an IKEA. With an Apple Store and an IKEA, I could live here again without much qualm.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, probably hubby investigating his new office digs, me in another library working on the paper again. I'm going to make appointments tomorrow for hair, pedicure and waxing -- the general renovation necessary before school starts. Once those are scheduled I'll figure out when we are going to grad school town for Indian food, and if I want to go down there to get books on my own library card :).

2 comments:

Arbitrista said...

These days outside of big cities, there is nothing - and I mean nothing - but big retail chains & restaurants. It's block after block of the same f&*%#ing 20 stores.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

True enough -- but I want the right f--- chain stores :) and restaurants --- a Cheescake Factory is a good thing to have around....

I've become used to having ready acces to the latest Mac stuff, good birkenstocks, and cheap Sweedish furniture --- especially since if I'm going to live forever in this godforsaken/godfearing Red State we are going to buy a house in a cool neighborhood and my current apartment not-quite-poor-furniture will not be sufficient :) and we can't afford to fill it with stuff from Nebraska Furniture Mart...