Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Counting, and not counting

I count the things before hubby comes home....

One more 'wake-up' before the day he comes home.

Two more mornings with the bed to myself.

Two more nights with nobody stealing my pillow or warming up my side of the sheets.

Four more classes to teach.

80 quizzes to give and grade.

One more debate coaching session.

One trip to the grocery store for yummy stuff from the butcher.

One bunch of laundry to wash.

One apartment to spiff up.

One more full day.... and two partial days.

and when all of the above are over and done, he'll be home. and then I stop counting -- because I don't want to count the days until he goes back to Red State and I can't count the laughter and the fun we'll have. I won't count the silent moments when we are both working on stuff in the DC. I can't count the number of times the blind kitty will yowl at hubby... nor can I quantify how loud he'll be when he realizes hubby is home and I can't count how much the oldest kitty will shed...

and a couple of weeks after he's gone -- after I've done some more counting -- I'll go see him in Red State.

Sooner or later it will be Red State school's fall break and he'll be home for a week. Even though I'll have to teach, it will be nice to have him here.

No comments: