Monday, July 14, 2008

RBOC.... where the C is either for crap or cancer...

  • We declared Sunday a 'day off' -- apparently Sunday means 'Sunday AND Monday' -- must get to work tomorrow...
  • We went shopping at three distinct types of grocery stores today... the local 'we're expensive and yummy' store, CostCo and Rainbow Foods... the expensive store was after breakfast and we didn't know what we wanted. CostCo was more of an adventure shop to stock up on chemo foodstuff like graham crackers, applesauce, etc..., Rainbow was an impulse run for Fritos and taco salad.
  • Tomorrow I have a coffee date with a good pal. I'm looking forward to it...
  • Tomorrow, before the coffee date, I have a follow-up with the surgeon. I'm hoping she'll say I can FINALLY go swimming. Dammit, I really hate not being able to go in the water.
  • My surgeon said nice things about me when I was semi-conscious under anesthesia... that was nice.
  • I like my surgeon because the first time she met me, she told me that "women's lib forced insurance companies to cover breast cancer surgeries and you can change your mind later to have more surgery if you'd like, you don't have to make the decision now." The use of the term 'women's lib' cracked me up --
  • My surgeon has a daughter who is a student at BNCC. My las appointment we spent some time talking about her, and students with her challenges. Honestly, I can't imagine being her daughter... mom is a high-powered and highly educated surgeon -- and her daughter is having challenges completing classes at BNCC.... I've told her to feel free to direct her daughter to come chat with me --- I'm hoping that since I'm someone who understands her mother, I can help her deal with her....
  • Hubby is very good at wii bowling. He can do it with both hands -- and has worked several miis (wii characters) up to 'pro' status -- giving us sparkly balls.
  • Please give me the 'surgeon says you can swim' vibe --- I'm tempted to put the gym bag in the car just in case... after coffee with my pal, I'll be about 1/3 of the way to the good gym with the nice pool...
  • I'm really f-ing excited about our trip to Canada. The rooms are more expensive than I'd like -- so we are taking a shorter trip... but, I'm excited --- especially since Hubby won some extra gas money playing poker yesterday...
  • I don't feel at all guilty about playing the 'I have cancer' card -- or the 'I'm starting chemo' card. Dammit, if I have to feel like crap, lose a boob, get a device implanted in me, lose my hair and get pitied because I have cancer -- the least I can do is to get a bit of leeway on cancellation policies at the Best Western!
  • My mastectomy hospital bill, $16,666.15 --- that is just the hospital bill. I'm sure the radiology will be more -- since the mamography/songraphy/biopsy stuff was about $7,000. An additional breast scan was about $1200.... and I don't even have all the bills yet. Thank God I have good health insurance and only need to come up with $1100.00 total for the year.

1 comment:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I think you totally deserve to play the cancer card and get some safety nets and creature comforts.

I played the pregnancy card en route here, and it was awesome. Mid-flight (the really long one) they served a snack that was some nasty deli meat on a roll. I can't eat deli meat (listeria). Told the flight attendant I couldn't take one because I was pregnant. Next thing I knew, I had a plate of fruit, cheese, and snackwell cookies from first class :)