Thursday, July 03, 2008

On 'telling'...

At least three of my co-workers have read this blog --- along with a couple of others from another department... so my cancer won't be a surprise to them...

Today I ran into a member of the music faculty at the coffee shop and told her... which got me to thinking...

The last thing I want to do is to create a situation in which some people I see regularly 'know' and others don't. I don't want to have to keep all that straight, and I don't want people to feel weird around me -- trying to pretend they don't know, or trying to pretend they do.

Also, since I'm department chair, most of them have a right to know anyway.... if only because I may ask for their help now and again.

So -- I think I'm going to send out a mass e-mail just before our August meetings. By that time I'll be tired, bald and have a chemo port sticking out near my collarbone, so some explanation will be needed -- I might as well make it an accurate one....

although, for my own amusement, I could say nothing and see what the rumor mill has to say....

2 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

That sounds like a good plan. And probably far less exhausting than having to tell people individually and in person.

Psych Post Doc said...

I think it sounds like a good idea too. That way they get it straight from you as well so they won't be wondering what is really going on.