Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ideas from TV...

  • Does everyone on Southwest Airlines drink a lot? I don't get to fly Southwest (because of monopoly air) -- but, it seems like the old TV show "Airline" features one drunk per 30 minute show....
  • I'm itching to write a feminist / class analysis of "Dirty Dancing". It came out in 1987 -- and very few women my age didn't want to be "Baby" --- she was cute, smart, brave AND she got the hot boy.... I have a rule that I've got to watch it to the end if I find it on TV. Now that we have 3 months of movie channels, I may see it a few times :) -- both the class and gender messages in the movie were fascinating to me this time around... especially as expressed in Baby's clothing changes and the $250.00 abortion story-line.. I've got plenty else to write these days -- but the movie got me thinking. Even the "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" line seemed nearly brilliant and profound...
  • Why do I watch shows about other people working? I watch the following: Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men, Gold Rush (about oil rigs), Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef, Design Star, Food Network Star, Shear Genius and Project Runway.... in addition to the re-runs of Airline. ALL of them are about people at work, doing jobs I don't want to do - or couldn't do. The only one I skip is Vermonators -- because bugs creep me out.

No comments: