Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I met a woman today....

...who had breast cancer in 1995.

She was waiting for her husband to have some tests. She saw my one-boobed status and told me about her experience...

It was nice to hear a few things...
  • My left arm will swell when it gets hot, but then it will go back down again when I cool down.
  • Bali's new petal bra is great with a prosthesis, so I don't need to buy an expensive mastectomy bra.
  • She's been with my cancer center for quite a while and is very, very happy with them.
  • She knows and really likes my oncologist.
Really, she made me feel a lot better about this whole thing -- because she's so far ahead of me on the path that this is all old hat to her. She has a good attitude about life and was interesting to talk to about a variety of things.

She still has one of her own breasts, and was happy to hear that they have a new process for the lymph node biopsy that means they don't have to take as many as they did when she had her surgery... (they have a way to figure out which node is the first one to get fluid from my breast...).

So, it was a good day.

No comments: