Monday, July 07, 2008

progress report...

I'm feeling pretty good and am mostly off of pain medication-- which, in terms of cancer treatments, seems to be a sign that I need to move to another step.

Tomorrow they'll put in a port. It is, more or less, a permanent tube for my chemo. Apparently the chemo drugs are really hard on veins. Breast cancer patients usually only have one arm to work with anyway, so we end up having these ports put in. The port comes out near my collar bone (I think).

I'm not sure how they work-- but, it will be with me at least until December, so I'd better get used to the idea.

The port involves minor surgery, thus another trip to the hospital. I'll be sedated, so I can't eat anything between now and then. I know the routine -- I just don't like it. The good thing is that I now trust my surgeon AND I know what to tell the anesthesia people -- namely that I get motion sickness....

Last time I was in there, I spewed across the room as I woke up -- I wonder if the recovery nurses will remember me?

4 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Sounds like you have a good medical team.

Sending best wishes.

Bardiac said...

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Good luck with the port thing; I hope it doesn't hurt.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Hope it all goes well tomorrow. I really feel for you on the nausea/motion sickness front. Not pleasant.

Meansomething said...

Congratulations on making progress! Though I see what you mean about the dubious reward for progress--yay, pain is going away, so time for the next thing!

I hope all continues to go smoothly & look forward to more updates.