Monday, February 06, 2006

Reading... for fun

I just finished James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces" -- this is the book Oprah pitched such a fit about last week... it seems that Frey wasn't exactly accurate with his memories of drug rehab. It als seems as if he glossed over the time after he was in jail and called the three months he needed to get his life together after treatment, "jail".

One way or the other, it is a pretty amazing narration of the recovery of a severely addicted person. It is a story about friendship, challenges and love. Not bad -- of course, I bought the book after I found out there were "concerns" abou the truth of the book.

I'm also reading Jodi Piccoult's "Vanishing Acts". The story is about a woman whose father kidnapped her as a child. The father gets arrested for kidnapping and she goes back to meet her mother, who she thought was dead. Of course, it is more complex than this -- but in typical Piccoult fashion, i'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. Not nearly as good as "My Sister's Keeper", but few books are.

I pretty much need to read some fiction before I go to sleep. I don't absorb/remember the details of a book long-term because I read them pretty fast. It is my way to relax and end the day.

No comments: