Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Philosophy Factory -- hiring season

Well, the awkward season has begun... the season where next year is decided by those who have for those who don't.

I'm on the committee tasked with hiring a full-timer for our department. Currently, we have two females and one male as full-time people. As far as I know, we'll be converting a one-year position to a full-time unlimited (essentially tenure track) job. A good friend has the one-year right now, and seems to be doing a good job.

As a friend, I'd like to be able to help him as much as possible -- and, in many ways I did advocate for him last year. I managed to get him into the alternate interview spot -- which ended up working out for him, as his interview was good. This year he won't need as much help from me, as he's got CC teaching experience, is active on campus and has started a student club -- not bad for the first year -- and, sounds pretty familiar.

On the other hand, I'm also wondering if the mystery "perfect candidate" comes up, what do I do?

I had lunch today with someone that a pal calls "the king maker" -- who told me that he regrets that he doesn't have time to serve on our hiring committee. Ms. Senior Philosophy Factory worker said she doesn't think she recommened him--- and I know I didn't... hmmmm.

I also have friends who are applying for full-time positions here in other disciplines. I can safely cheer them on and wish them well -- as I don't have to pretend to be impartial. Another friend has just accepted the dream job back east -- and I wish her well. She's smart, hip and motivated. They'll love her. We were lucky to get her this year.

I kind of doubt my absentee-faculty neighbor will be back from his sabbatical full-time. The rumor mill has him back long enough not to get in trouble with the school for the sabbatical, and I'd guess he'd be out after that. I'm also worried about my hippie-pal. She's out long enough to need a substitute for her courses -- eek.

Applications are due in about a month, I'll read them before I go to nationals and I suspect the interviews will start as soon as I am back.... yikes.

No comments: