Monday, February 13, 2006

Debate --- another out of state tournament...

General thoughts....
We stayed with my fantastic Aunt in WI – it wasn’t long enough (arrived late and left by 8:00 am. She really liked meeting the guys, and it seems like she figured out the appeal of coaching for me -- her background as a CC English prof also lets her understand what is going on. If I have other nice kids next year, we’ll stay with her on the way down. I’ll make sure we leave earlier… and probably if hubby is around we’ll have a camping pad in our luggage ☺.

Not a bad tournament – it would have been nice if a swanky, conservative, religious private school had made it on time… my guess is that their conservative nature didn’t allow them to read the map correctly and see that host school is in the Eastern time zone…

Of course, we got lucky that I’m pretty anal about stuff and the lost hour was simply the difference between having lunch at the first gas-station subway we found, vs. a nice place to eat.

Rex and McWiggins got some KQRS points.. YEA! Rex uses different letters for the elite national tournament every time he talks about it, so I'll do the same...

And now I wait ---

D1 and D2 are in finals – they are opp and are planning to run strong Marxism… this should be fun. They are against a team I’ve judged and that did not impress me one bit… I know they CAN win this round, but WILL they? I’ll know in about 30 minutes.

If they win, I get a tattoo --- if not, it still looks good for the administration and they’ll have more KQRSTJP points (or, whatever Hashmere says…). I don’t suppose I can put the tattoo on the school credit card.

I’m pretty impressed with these boys -- They broke 4-2 and made it to finals, taking out the #1 seed 3-0. It is pretty much the case that they didn’t legitimately lose a round, they went down on some pretty iffy decisions…

That big trophy could look great on the big guy’s desk on Monday. YEA!

I’ll have to remember to e-mail my wonderful Aunt to tell her how her foster-debaters did this weekend… and, as Rex said, “When I wake up in Aunt’s bed – I mean, that wasn’t what I meant guys….”.

Later –
Well – they lost on a 2-1 decision. I didn’t see the round, but the RFD was kind of weak for those who were voting against D1 and D2. 1 ballot away from a tattoo…

Next week is BN State tournament. If D1/D2 win, it will be such a major act of adaptation that I’ll get the tattoo.

On the way home D1 said he was so bored that he was intentionally letting his foot fall asleep, just because the pins-and-needles feeling was amusing…

In- Round comments….. i.e what I'm thinking when they are debating.....
Resolution, something about value of privacy over national security….
I’m currently watching a novice team ---- I’m glad I didn’t put Rex/McWiggns (formerly the Rev) in novice, they’d have died in a round like this.

I kind of feel sorry for this team, they are not really ready ---- at all. The opp gave a counter-proposal in support of the Patriot Act, and their only response was “this isn’t relevant, we proposed a fact case, more true than false” == ummmm, that is their side, that the patriot act is good and it violates privacy.

Hmmmm, a T in the MO – that is a new twist (or, an old one ------).
The MO is wandering around some more on the flow – I can’t follow it, or don’t want to. It is great to have the laptop, as I can pretend to flow while playing with the computer.

Yea, rebuttals – 9 more minutes total…
Wow, the LO is pretty much flying the flag and telling me the patriot act is the reason --- an argument in favor of the US is huge…

Thought for the round….
I think that they hate our freedom, juuuuuuuuddddddddddge (inside joke… get over it).

Another round..
Wow – no wonder some policy people think Parli is stupid --- and, no wonder we have 2 3-0 teams after yesterday.

New round…
Both teams are 4-1, it is round 6 now… yea ----

How long should someone spend impacting nuke war? Hmmmmm – use is bad, millions die etc… I just heard 2 minutes on the ecological problems, wow…

Now.. the LO is trying to tell me that Iran isn’t going to develop nuclear weapons… now she is saying they should be allowed to do so – so, which is it?

If the LO is this bad, what is the MO going to look like?

Am I unlucky, or are they sexist in Tab – I’ve seen CRAP teams. I wonder if all the other teams are simply bad… although, I’m pretty much clean for the swanky private school,– who seems to be the team to beat, and I've seen a couple of teams from swanky non-conservative school --- of course, we beat one of the two last round… yea.

Now, the MG does something I hate, “Judge, you can’t vote here – JUUUUDDDDGEEEE).

Also, don’t call me “Madame adjudicator” – it is snarky.

I want a nap, now --- I’m actually typing to make sure I don’t fall asleep.


Dammm.. in elims Rex/McWiggins lost to a mean WI team – on some kinds of dubious 3JR…

I hear from a host school judge that XJRC nationals will be “less policy-like”… hmmmm, like they would know? They’ve been to two – I think…. And – like who would know more, Mr. and Mrs. CVRQ – or two judges from ND…. Turns out those judges had a pretty sad LKMN record, so maybe for them the tournament wasn’t policy-like….

Sad --- during this round I’ve had to check the ballot to see if it is novice, or not…

OH SHIT – one of these craptastic teams is going to be in semi-finals…

No comments: