Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Um... no...

I have a student who has missed several classes in Logic...

As may be expected, she isn't doing all that well.

A while back I canceled her class, thus reducing the in-class discussion of problems etc.. I decided to keep the quiz schedule intact, but to give a 'free' make-up quiz in class the week after the originally scheduled quiz.... it is 'free' because they can otherwise make-up one quiz. This one doesn't count against that one...

This student missed the first chance to take the quiz, but she did take the 'free' make-up --- and didn't do well.

Now she wants her 'free' make-up. She's already used up her only allowed make-up...

ummm--- no

Just because you missed the first chance to take it and I allowed you to "re-take" a quiz you never took in the first place, does not mean that you get another shot...

Life doesn't work that way...

2 comments:

Bitty said...

I love when you tell these stories because it truly illustrates how poorly your student is doing: she expects her logic professor to do something...illogical.

;)

Seeking Solace said...

Sigh. Is she related to my student who didn't follow directions?