Thursday, November 06, 2008

A new time....

Somehow, with the election resolved the way I wanted it --- for a change :) -- things seem better and more calm overall.

For one, Hubby and I figured out that we could, if necessary and with a strict budget -- live on my salary. This gives him more options for next year, in case the job search doesn't work out his way.

One of those options may be law school. The thing is, hubby is very articulate. He's also very good at formulating devastating verbal responses to arguments... in other words, he is and was a very good debater... the kind of debater that would make a good teacher or lawyer. The theory is that a combination of a Ph.D. and JD ought to be pretty employable in a variety of contexts -- and that most of those places would pay pretty well:).

5 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Many law schools are embracing joint degree programs. Hubby would be very marketable with something like that.

Andrea said...

I'd agree with the caveat that law school debt is absolutely crazy and to make sure to crunch the numbers before jumping into the pool. It's kind of a Catch-22 for future academics (which is what I assume H is still looking at) - you want to go to a prestigious law school for the reputation, superior placement of graduates, etc. since law school is way more prestige-whorey than other grad school fields, but those schools are less likely to give the kind of big financial aid a smart guy like H might get at a lower-ranked school. And no one wants to be paying off six figures of debt in thirty years.

I mean, if he's considering putting aside his graduate work, going to law school and getting a high-paying corporate job, then never mind, go to any nationally ranked school and good luck, but that doesn't seem like up his alley. Anyway, PF and I are here if you guys have any questions, just let us know :)

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I think the general plan is to finish the Ph.D.-- either now or later and do the JD... but, after that, it may be an academic job or more likely a high-paying corporate job -- at least until we get our student loan debt paid off...

In terms of the law school, it has to be here -- because I need to keep my job :).

Anonymous said...

Law school while married is...tortuous. If you want a real eval, mail me. Cranky Husband did the "work full-time/law school at night/family" thing, and it sucked HARD.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

The good news is that we don't have kids and he won't have to work full-time... so it won't be quite as hellish as it could be :). In order to afford to do it that way, I'll probably be giving up my class off each semester for being department chair -- and teaching whatever I can in the summer -- but, I should be done with my dissertation the same semester he starts, so I can manage it.