Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Old cats and New cats....

Old Kitty had a vet appointment today -- and it wasn't good news.

The short of it is, we decided he wasn't a good candidate for surgery -- and that it was time to put him down.

It was a difficult decision, and it wasn't... He hadn't been himself for quite a while. He'd gone from a cat who was nearly 20 lbs to about 5... and it was clear that, although he'd purr and snuggle a bit, he was in pain.

Hubby and I realized we'd said goodbye to him a while ago, that New Kitty NEEDS a companion, and that we should get one while we'd be home to mediate disputes...

So -- we went to the Humane Society and brought home a 5 month-old black boy kitty...

We've been home for five minutes, New Kitty wasn't all that phased by the sight of boy kitty. I'll let you know how it goes.

12 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

I am so sorry about Old Kitty. He is no doubt having fun at Rainbow Bridge.

Here's to adopting a new freind. Does he have a name, or a blog name?

Arbitrista said...

Sad.

Dr. Crazy said...

First, I'm so sorry to hear about Old Kitty. Even when we know it's the right thing to do, it's hard to say goodbye to our feline friends :)

Second, welcome to New-new Kitty! (Black kitty?). Here's to a smooth transition!

Minnesota Matron said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I know. We had to put down our 14.5 year old Irish setter/spring mix last year. We all still miss him. May your replacement be more trainable than Satan's Familiar!

Unknown said...

First, I'm so sorry about Old Cat! We went through the same thing about a year ago with a 19 year old cat we'd had since she was six weeks old. Even though it was the best thing and we knew it was coming, it was still hard not to have her around. That said, congrats on the new black boy kitty! I agree that New Cat needs someone to play with and hang out with!
Barb

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I may call them The Girl and The Boy... because New Kitty isn't the newest one anymore.

Once he settles down enough to photograph, I'll take a few to post.

comebacknikki said...

So sorry to hear about old Kitty. :(

Welcome to new-new kitty!

Bardiac said...

My sympathies and felicitations at once. I hope your new kitties share lots of body warmth on cold days, lots of snuggles and purring.

undine said...

Sorry about Old Kitty. That's a hard decision, even if it is the right one.

New Kid on the Hallway said...

I'm so sorry about Old Kitty... and welcome to New Kitty! (New kitties are great.)

Psych Post Doc said...

So sorry about old kitty. I hope boy kitty gets along well with new kitty.

mrc-w said...

That is sad about Old Kitty. And I'm impressed that he was once 20 lbs - quite a cat!