Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My logic ladies...

My nighttime logic class is always a puzzle to me..

Overall, my male and female students perform about the same. My top students are a gender mix that is about the same as the class as a whole.

In the first few quizzes, the low scores are equally mixed as well.

But -- about this time of the semester, the students who choose to stay and get extra help -- and who need -- are women. It happens every time.

I suppose one reason for that is that the men give up instead of ask for help. Perhaps asking a female for more help isn't appealing either -- (I'm female as are both of my smart, amazing and dedicated tutors).

I also think my female students are simply less willing to take the class over -- and it isn't uncommon for my male students to be on their second time around in logic, so at this point their scores are better.

That isn't to say that I don't love my logic ladies -- or that they don't end up performing well on the exam, it is just a puzzle as to why the group is female.

2 comments:

Arbitrista said...

It sounds very familiar. I saw something similar when I taught political science.

Seeking Solace said...

Well, most guys will not ask for help...look what happens when you get lost....:)