Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Writing -- plans..

I'm starting a new category... "writiing" -- which will discuss the prgress of my dissertation and the other stuff I need to do to become Dr. Philosophy Factory. When I presented this plan to my supervisor, he didn't laugh at me via e-mail...

The Plan looks like this:
1) Before the end of finals, proof-read area papers for history and metaphysics and submit. I'll then get feedback on them and see what happens...
2) While on vacation -- before June 1 -- finish prospectus and submit to area group. More important, have supervisor read and comment.
3) June and July 3 chapters...
4) August is moving time and then school starts -- with all the syllabi etc...
5) Chapters 4 & 5 done by December and job application deadlines...

This will allow me to reasonably claim, and have a letter from supervisor stating, that I could have the thing defended by fall 2007. This is ultra-important to be at all considered for tt job at either school.

In order to do so, I've got a plan to create time for me to finish...

A) Limit debate travel for fall to 4 trips -- budget will probably do this as well... so, no worries there.
B) Officially quit all outside committments, except debate and epistemology reading group we plan to start within the department. I've already explained this to dean -- (yesterday, when I told her about hubby's job.. more on that later..)
C) Asked for 3 credit release time for debate.. to be used in Spring -- probably... although, if it stays in the budget I might use it in the Fall to get the most done on dissertation...
D) Resolve to put the "I'm thinking in here, please don't disturb" sign out way more often than in the past.
E) Plan geed-fest vacation in the mountains (ski condos are cheap in May!) -- plan is to get away and do work in a beautiful location -- while sitting on the deck with laptop.
F) Resolve to ask hubby how poli sci people read books so fast and do so with a few I should read...

2 comments:

SouthernCanadian said...

Wow. I read your posts and think you really have it all together, compared with where I am academically. It'll be a couple of years before I'm ready to write my dissertation, but I have a hard time imagining being at the stage of the game where you are now. Now that I've read or skimmed most of your blog, I am rooting for you to become Dr. Philosophy Factory!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'm not so sure about having it together, rather that I've been at it SOOOO long.

Thanks for the encouragement -- The plan starts on Friday -- and hopefully ends with a job in hubby's state.