Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Teaching -- spreading the news & a new plan...

So, today I've officially told my pals and my dean (who is also a pal) about hubby's job for next year.

My dean is so sweet, she looked like she was going to cry and told me she was happy for us, but also sad that my time at BNCC is limited. She really is a nice person and if I could take her with me to the flat state, together we'd wreak havoc with the old-boys networks...

I also told her that I wasn't going to do anything extra, except debate, next year... no committes to improve the quality of the lunchroom, no parking lot committees, no nothing... just debate travel and teaching.

The sad part of that is that I had to tell my pal, former debate coach, that I couldn't do his committee next year. I'd keep my committment for the summer, but that next year he'd have to find someone else. This is sad news because I love working with fomer debate coach, he spins a pen like good debters do--- and I really like working with the people on that committee. We are doing some nasty work (assessment planning...eeek, college-wide... double eek) but everyone is very nice about it. I've also gotten to know some really smart women due to the process -- I'll miss seeing them!

So --- the plan is to hit the ground running with my dissertation this summer -- hope for some momentum into the fall and see if I can't get it banged out to be more than just ideas in my head by the time interview season comes in flat state... if I can reasonably say that I'm heading for defense in Fall 07, I can be competitive for two of the three tt jobs coming up next year (the other is in metaphysics and phil mind... not my areas). Two are in ethics/political phil which are just up my area... and one of the ethics is ethics and epistemology, which I"m pretty ok with --.

The only extra stuff will be philosophical -- assuming dog dad will be at BNCC next year -- he wants to start a phil dept reading group -- which I think will be great, even if it is only the two of us...

No comments: