Thursday, December 04, 2008

"Others" need to mind their own business...

Really, if other folks would pay as much attention to their own duties as they do to the duties of others, my day would have been much better. As it is, things ended well -- but it was freaking exhausing -- and it wasn't my fault. It was the fault of "others".

Those of us in the philosophy factory are too f-ing busy teaching huge classes of un-motivated and often stupid students to go snooping into what folks in other departments are doing... this isn' t the case for "others", they seem to have plenty of time to snoop -- and to bitch about what they find, without actually knowing or asking about the details.

Down in the philosophy factory we are also too busy teaching a 5/5 because we got screwed in the quarter/semester conversion.. so all of our classes are 3 credits. That means that we teach MORE sections, AND our sections are bigger than most departments on campus.... So, every year we teach many more students than the "others" who are snooping around in our business.

In the end, y'all (you "others) need to be grateful that you don't teach under philosophy factory conditions --- because I'd be glad to trade what you think we think we have for your smaller classes and fewer sections. You and I know that teaching a 3 credit section is no more work than teaching a 4 credit section --- that's a dirty little secret I learned at a SLAC. I'd also trade what you think we have for the classroom technology y'all get because you have the political clout on campus that we lack.

Finally -- if some of you "others" did your jobs properly, y'all wouldn't have to worry that we are somehow encroaching on your territory with one of our classes -- 'cuz you'd have the students and we wouldn't. They end up taking that class out of desparation, because you can't seem to teach them the material they need, when they need it. If another group of "others" worried more that your students can't write, my job would be easier.

But -- you don't find me bitching about all of this to anybody ... because I'm too f-ing busy teaching students. Try it sometime -- it may not always be more fun that being a snoopy-ass-bitcher, but it is a lot more rewarding in the long-run.

Also -- look around, your own department(s) have the same stuff going down that you complained about. Solve that first -- then look elsewhere... or, mabye you should just keep your eyes on your own work...

2 comments:

timna said...

whew. I'd like to be the fly on the wall for this!

Bitty said...

Of course, I have no idea what's behind this, but I recognize the exasperation.

I often think it's quite amazing that anything productive gets done at a college considering some of the crackpots who run things and some of the crackpots who teach things.

I was so innocent when I was a student. Then they let me behind the curtain.

I hope it gets better for you.