Sunday, November 11, 2007

Random Thoughts from a weekend...

  • Why does Corn State have to be so big and corny? If Red State were just south of BNstate, my drive would be much better... drat.
  • It is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong to start Christmas just after Halloween! This goes for stores and TV shows in particular. If I can watch the end of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas on November 11th, there is something wrong with the world.
  • I thought I was hearing Blind Kitty last night -- but, he's 400 miles away.
  • I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. MIL will be over. I've ordered the dinner from the grocery store (on-line, I love this store!). All I'll have to do is bake a pie and assemble. I think I'm done cooking holiday dinners for a while, especially Thanksgiving. I've cooked Thanksgiving dinner before -- I know I can do it. The question is whether or not I want to. This year I'm going to have too much grading to do to mess with it.
  • I really don't like starting CST earlier. The problem is that two weeks makes a huge difference in terms of getting dark. So we go from twilight at 6:00 PM to DARK at 6:00 PM, in one day. It is very disorienting.
  • We took a long and meandering drive today to get to the military museum. One of the small towns had hundreds of flags out for Veterans' Day.
  • Yesterday was the anniversary of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Sometime I'm going to be on the North Shore of Lake Superior on November 10th... If you don't know about the Edmund Fitzgerald, or the song, Google it.... it is perfect in its own way. If you've ever been near one of the Great Lakes in the late fall, it will give you chills.
  • The other thing I'm going to do sometime is to be up at mom's during the sled dog race. I keep meaning to go, I even have a friend whose wife works for the BN state sled dog association... and I still manage to miss it.

2 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald gives me the chills every time I hear it.

Here's a toast to our veterans. [raises glass] God bless them all.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I just read a very surreal post about the Edmund Fitzgerald on another blog. It was a work of fiction, sort of a nod to history.