Monday, September 15, 2008

Something Breast Cancer has excused me from...

.. I feel that, since I've had a mastectomy and am in chemo, I don't have to buy anything with a pink ribbon on it.

Y'all are buying that stuff for me -- and I really appreciate the thought.

I also think that there has been an explosion of pink ribbons, and that it seems to be a bit of a marketing ploy.

Really, I don't care if y'all are buying them because you don't want to jinx yourself -- or because you want to feel sorry for me -- or because you want to feel special or that you are helping... whatever the reason, if it keeps others from getting or dying of breast cancer (hell, especially if it keeps ME from dying of it) -- go ahead..

I just think that actually having it excuses me from the pink ribbon marketing campaign.

3 comments:

Wendy S. Harpham, MD said...

Hi,
I just discovered your blog and look forward to following along. I've been interested in philosophy since my college days in the 1970s. I've been thinking, talking, reading and writing about philosophy as regards survivorship since my dx in 1990.

As a physician-survivor who cannot practice medicine anymore due to cancer-related issues, I've devoted myself to writing and speaking about survivorship. My focus is helping each patient find the best path for him or her.

So, what colors are you enjoying, if not pink?

With hope, Wendy
www.wendyharpham.com

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Hi Wendy...and welcome!

It is good to have your thoughts! I'm pretty new to all of this, as you've probably seen by now -- so having input from someone who has been around a while will be appreciated!

I read your bio -- and I really agree that life doesn't happen like we planned - AND life should be well-lived no matter what. I've decided to take a sassy attitude toward my diagnosis and treatment.. because that is how I tend to approach life.

Take care and you are welcome to comment on whatever interests you.

julie said...

Did you see yesterday's Target ad front page? A complete PinkFest! You're a marketing demographic, PhiloFact.