Saturday, September 08, 2007

Hairspray (the movie)

So, I've added another way to procrastinate...

the movie theater is right next door, y'all... it was calling my name.

I looked on-line and saw that "Hairspray" was starting in 10 minutes. I got there just as the credits were starting.

To say I loved the movie would be an understatement.

The only thing I didn't like about it was John Travolta in drag and a fat suit/make-up playing Tracy's mom. Like they couldn't find an actual large woman to play a large woman???

I do wish the 60s Tracy saw on the horizon had actually happened -- Sure, the racism is less overt, but the fat bias is still a fact of life ---- demonstrated by casting Travolta...

You really should see it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

witness the many many films, tv shows and sketches featuring black men in fat suit/drag. all at once, we're able to stomach the fright of seeing a young black man without having to gaze at an actual fat black woman.

sigh.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

At least Hairspray had Queen Latifa (if that is how you spell it) in the "fat black woman" role... not that she's all that fat, but that was the corresponding role to the Travolta character.

I just find it amazing that a movie about a fat white girl prompting desegregation failed to be as enlightened in the casting as it was in the script.