Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Tonight was fascinating...

Tonight my oncologist came to my Biomedical Ethics class.

Talk about interesting....

First of all -- having him in a new context was fun in and of itself. He got to see where I teach etc -- and have the experience of talking with my students.

It was much more fascinating hearing him talk about relationships with patients. How he has made conscious decisions to connect with his patients... and how it is difficult when they don't do well.

I could never have given my students what he gave them tonight. He's been an oncologist for 35 years -- he started working in oncology when it wasn't really a recognized sub-specialty. He shared his 35 years of treating people in what is probably the most stressful part of their lives.

More than a few of my students found him as charming as I do -- and I suspect that more than a few of them would work for him if given a chance.

After he left, we discussed his talk and then we watched an episode of "House" -- who is the exact opposite of my oncologist.

yea, it was a good night.

2 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Any doctor would be a contrast to House!!!

Psych Post Doc said...

Sounds like a great class.

LOL @ SS- at least we hope. :)