Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Taliesin West -- amazing






I've always kind of had a thing for Frank Lloyd Wright -- amazing architect, brilliant person etc. After today, I'd really love to go to Falling Water and I really should go see his stuff in Wisconsin, includiing the original Taliesin.

A while back I saw a TV show about him and Taliesin... how his apprenitices lived in tents and built the complex by hand etc. Wright didn't live in Arizona the whole year, rather he spent the summer in Wisconsin and October - April in Arizona... leaving before it got too hot.

I really can't describe Taliesin West, and my photos can't do it justice. What I'm missing is a way to convey how peaceful it was up there. Away from the traffic and noise of the city. Surrounded by cacti and other desert plants. The sound of the fountains (Taliesin has it's own water source... and more than a few ponds and fountains).

I think the best bit was the old guy tour guide... you know the type. He wore a black hat and sunglasses and knew a lot about Wright and his family -- including quite a bit of 60+ year old "gossip" -- which may or may not have been true, but was fun anyhow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, let me say... A pity it looks so dry.

Candy

Translation Whitelist said...

"I think the best bit was the old guy tour guide... you know the type. He wore a black hat and sunglasses and knew a lot about Wright and his family -- including quite a bit of 60+ year old "gossip" -- which may or may not have been true, but was fun anyhow..."




Yeah, have a ball, man. If that's what you call 'fun'. It reminds me of a 'professor' of 'mine' who 'accussed' me of 'plagiarism' for 'some reason'. Which might or might not have anything to do with extended holidays or obsessions with water.

But then, what else is philosophy if not speculation.

Have a great one with hubby!

Andres

Chaser said...

Absolutely do see Fallingwater if you get the chance. I am a big fan of FLW's myself and I am glad you are enjoying yourself. If you are in LA, check out the Hollyhock house, which is strange on the outside and really wonderful on the inside. I also love the Darwin D. Martin house in Buffalo. One of my favorite topics!

Christopias Spritopher said...

Gossip doesn't have to be TRUE it has be INTERESTING.

Bardiac said...

Oh, color me jealous!

I've been to the Taliesin in Wisconsin, and it's WELL worth the visit. There's also a crane foundation nearby.

Wishing you a wonderful vacation!