Saturday, November 18, 2006

Lessons learned from a trip to the mall

Today I decided I needed some new pajamas here in red state, so I went to the mall.

This is a suburban mall in a nice part of the biggest metro area in Red State. It is where they've recently built a Cheesecake Factory, a PF Chang's etc... This mall has nice stores, a nice mix of people and generally is a nice place to be on a cloudy or chilly day.

Like most other trips to the mall in Red State, today I parked next to a badly parked pick-up truck.

and learned my lesson for the day....

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LOOK INTO THE BED OF A PICK-UP TRUCK IN RED STATE.

why, you may ask... a pick-up truck bed is a public space.... what's the worst thing you'll see...

answer ---

a dead possum.

His face frozen in some kind of possum nightmare scowl. His hands curled up into balls... his back feet splayed out....

no, he wasn't just playing possum.

he was dead.

I looked again when I came out of the mall with my new pjs.

it was disturbing...

That is the last time I'll look into the bed of a pick-up truck.

3 comments:

comebacknikki said...

OMG! I totally would have wet my pants!

Seeking Solace said...

Where I grew up, it was common to find dead critters in the back of pickups. What is ironic is the state that I grew up in is a Blue State!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

What I find really disturbing is that I'm not sure he died in the back of the truck... it could be that he was on the grocery list. This state is a bit scary, and they had a Saturday off from football so there was some pent-up aggression as well.