Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Debater trouble and strife...

Most of the team is humming along well... the new couple had a decent round yesterday. Herbie and Golfer made a respectable opponent to them... then, what is supposed to be my top team came in the room... and things were clearly not happy.

He's kind of young and arrogant, she's older and less confident than she should be. They had only a so-so round and it should have been better.

I'm going to have to talk to them -- and I hate doing that kind of stuff... but, it is necessary if they are going to have a decent year together, or apart...

If they can't get along I'm going to have to rearrange the teams -- although I'm going to give it until at least after the first tournament to see what happens under competitive pressure. He doesn't really want any other partner, so he's going to have to get along with her. I think he's a bit freaked out because he's the most experienced one on the squad and he went to camp over the summer and learned some new buzz words she doesn't know. I have a sneaking feeling he thought that D1 would hang around and debate with him.... but, I could easily be wrong about that.

We leave a week from Friday for that tournament. Wish us all luck...

For the debater and/or coaches out there -- if you have any tips on helping someone be a better 'tool' please let me know... she could use them.... an e-mail would be helpful, or you can get me on the message boards...

No comments: