Thursday, September 28, 2006

Brain the coach

My pal Brain came to watch a round last night. I love having him there, because -- without prompting -- he tells them stuff I've already told them -- but they didn't listen to. A second voice is helpful that way.

Sunshine and LG make a good team. They'll win some rounds at our next tournament.... I'm sure Dude and Swear Jar will do wel as well, as long as Swear Jar can keep the attitude under control.

Next week we'll work on the attitude -- funny thing is that Brain and one of his old debate partners actually got ballots that said, in effect, 'you make me mad but I have to vote for you' -- I don't recall him being as bad as Swear Jar and Swear Jar doesn't have the debate background to get a ballot from a judge who hates his guts --- so things have got to change.

I told Swear Jar yesterday that he was alienating himself from his team and that Dude was his last partner, so he'd better make it work. I hope it does, because he's a good debater -- I'm just kind of afraid we have a Voldemort situation developing on the team... where there is one kid who is a good debater but can't work and play well with others. At least Swear Jar showers and isn't as obnoxious as Voldemort....

In a way, I feel bad for Swear Jar --- he developed this debate persona in the context of another team... then they all went elsewhere and he's left as the snarky cynical one without the others who get him. He played a function on the team last year, but this year he's more like the cranky uncle who nobody wants to sit next to at Christmas dinner...

I also feel bad for Golfer, as his partner Herbie is busy with things that take priority over debate. Herbie did this last year too, so it is no surprise.... it is just sad, because Golfer is much improved after camp and has to rely on random partners for the next two tournaments....

No comments: