Sunday, July 02, 2006

Writing -- update

Well, now I have a 10ish page paper and a 20ish page paper on about the same things... although the 10ish page paper is, more or less, what the 20ish paper lacks... Tomorrow I hope to be brave enough to put them together int one 25-30ish page paper.

This is a new way of doing revisions that I kind of like... make a list of what is missing, write it in a separate file and then integrate it into the old paper. We'll see if it actually works. What is kind of odd is that I wrote the original paper 4 or 5 years ago.... and my writing has changed a lot since then.

I'll have to do some revisions, as I changed my tests around a lot -- and thus the conclusions are a bit different. I can keep a lot of the expositoin sections on Lewis and ASL --- and use them to justify (Lewis) or test (ASL) the theory I'm developing.

I've also been able to incorporate two new authors into my framework -- and I have a couple more to go (yea J Stor). This will make it look both less like I'm just makng stuff up and that less like I only read one article for this paper. Both of which will help this be the last philosophy of language paper I have to write (knock on wood!).

If I can get the body of it put together before Mom gets here, I can save the changing of the citatations and all the other picky stuff for after she goes home... and put it in the mail before we go up north next week. I REALLY want to get it done so I don't have to think about it anymore. Frankly, I don't care if they read it now or later -- I just want to think I have my version done and can't change it..... otherwise, I'd futz with it all summer and not get anywhere.

I have a feeling that I'll get some comments from Supervisor about my advancement paper in the next couple of weeks, which will give me something to go on for my dissertation progress. He told me he'd read it, and he generally keeps his word-- although, it is summer and I wouldn't fault him if he didn't... .I know the last thing I want to do during the summer is read student work -- of course, during the school year I'm so busy that I don't give him much to read--- at least, I haven't in the past --- I'd like this year to be different, sigh...

I've either got to stop typing or move to another location, as my fingers are getting that tingly sensation that tells me I've been typing in bad typing posture for too long...

good excuse to quit! besides, there is clean laundry to fold and probably something on the TV to watch while I do it...

ahhh the joys of summer!

No comments: