Sunday, July 09, 2006

No more Smug for you...

if you don't own a TV but have high-speed internet at home...

Since I love TV, intellectual bubble gum -- lots of yummy flavors -- I've decided that if you don't have a TV, but have high-speed internet and use it a lot, you can't be smug about not having a TV.

The internet is just as much a 'boob tube' as a TV... look around the internet -- you'll see as much useless, non-intellectual crap as you'll get on cable any time.

This little rant was inspired by a guy on NPR this morning who is a soccer commentator who doesn't own a TV, but was keeping up with the World Cup on Yahoo. He was quite proud of not having a TV -- he doesn't get to be.

I'm going to eat breakfast and then clean up after last night :).... while watching HGTV.

4 comments:

comebacknikki said...

Ugh. I hate that smug no-TV attitude. A lot of people who say they don't own a TV think it makes them so cool; they're just so intellectually better than everyone who does watch TV.

Years ago, I briefly dated an artist who said he didn't own a TV b/c it's a mind waste, a time suck, he was smarter than the propaganda on TV, blah, blah, blah. He even talked a little shit to me for owning one b/c he said I was far too intelligent to be sucked in. At the time, I was completely enamored with him b/c I thought he was so passionate and creative. Well, shortly after our third date, we were talking on the phone and in the middle of the conversation he started laughing hysterically (there was nothing funny about what we were talking about). I asked him what was so funny and he said something about how his favorite episode of Seinfeld was on.

I guess I caught him at a rare non-creative moment.

Seeking Solace said...

Love HGTV and the Food Network!

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Bravo! And thank you! I love my cable tv.

Roti said...

the only reason that i would actually not own a tv is that i don't have cable =(, and the shows that are on here in my country aren't that interesting. Though i do have a thing for the anime series that they show on the weekends =P.

Though i agree that not having a tv doesn't give you the right to be smug. It's just another excuse for probably not having enough time to watch tv shows and being envious of those with enough time to catch their favorite tv series' and stuff.

i am a random passer by, though i would like an opinion on my writing from a philosophy teacher if he would be so kind as to give some comments on my writing =)