Friday, July 28, 2006

Acting like it is really cold....

So, I'm a northern girl -- I love crisp summer mornings camping when you get up and can almost see your breath. I love having the end of my nose be a bit chilly as I leave the tent go to the potty. I love burrowing under a warm blanket when I go back to bed. Perfect camping equipment for me includes a few pairs of wool socks, jeans, sweatshirt and a jacket.

I don't understand the terms "heat advisory" and "heat warning". They told us that we'd start a heat advisory this afternoon and it would expire Sunday at noon... I thought it would cool down a little on Sunday to only be a heat warning that would last until the middle of next week. No, stupid me -- I just figured out that the heat warning is worse than a heat advisory and that it would get hotter before it cooled off sometime in December...

I live someplace where an only slightly abnormal year sees a temprature difference (in real degrees-- (not heat-index or wind-chill... real temprature) of 130 degrees. It could easily top 100 this week--- and I've seen it down to -30 in the last two years. At my mom's I've seen an alcohol thermometer that goes down to -45 not read anything.... i.e. it is too cold to show. I'd much rather be cold then hot -- you can only take off so many clothes.

Today I went to fancy grocery store because you can drive up for your groceries--- and I wouldn't have to haul them to the car myself...

It struck me, we are more or less living like it is -20 outside.... inside, huddled around the AC like it is a fireplace and we are in a log cabin, only going out when it is most likely to be comfortable (winter, mid-day -- summer, early morning or well after dark) and hurrying from the store to the car like we'd get frostbite if we didn't.

We're now stocked up on cool foods, foods that require minimal heating of the stove or oven, we have some DVDs and the endless internet to keep us entertained and we'll just wait to do stuff outside until things get better.

No comments: