Thursday, July 27, 2006

Good stuff about hubby moving to Red State, I (domestic)

I'm going to do plenty of whining posts about hubby being gone (we leave a week from Saturday and he doesn't come home with me... :( ).... So, I'm going to keep track of reasons why it is a good thing. Please refer me back to these posts when I get too whiney... because I will get whiney :).

These are in no particular order --

Domestic...
Closet space -- hubby will take a bunch of clothes with him. I'll finally be able to clean out the closet without him looking, so I'll be able to get rid of the "Dandy Bar" t-shirt he's had since I met him in high school. I won't have to resort to putting the cat litter on top of the clothes so he won't go digging in the trash like mom has to do to throw out stuff of step-dad's..

Bookshelf space -- we can't throw away books around here... i'm sure you are familiar with the concept. Hubby will take a bunch of stuff with him, clearing up space on our shelves so I don't have to make difficult decisions in order to see the tops of most of our bedroom furniture (somehow the extra books end up in there... hmmm).

Laundry -- only my stuff on a regular basis -- wow -- and I'll be doing it. No more washing red shirts with white shirts... no more washing red sheets with white sheets... no more washing new tie-dye with white stuff... no more washing black stuff with yellow stuff... granted, hubby's learned from these experiments in the laundry room, but generally my stuff has been the white stuff.

Furniture arrangement -- hubby HATES to rearrange the furniture, hates it like you wouldn't believe. Last summer we got in a huge fight about moving around end tables in the livingroom. I still don't know how swaping them out was going to cause an end to civilization as we know it, but it was going to happen.... now I can move the big and little stuff around without going 40 rounds. I'll tell him about it after the fact, on the phone, and by the time he comes home next he won't even notice the difference.

Restaurants -- getting to have Jimmy John's sandwiches and Culver's burgers... he hates them both. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I like them on occasion. He also hates Mexican food... longtime friend and I can now go out for nachos and burritios without having to make deals with hubby.

In the bedroom -- first, I could rearrange it if I wanted... see above -- also, when I wake up in the middle of the night I don't have to get up and write blog posts, I can turn on the light and read for a while... I'm not sure this won't make me miss him more, -- but that isn't what this post is about, dammit!

Time to go back to bed -- next time I need to do one of these posts, I'll write about the good stuff down there I'll be able to do when I visit...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're trying to see the bright side and I'm sorry you're *having* to see the bright side b/c he's leaving! Here's hoping your white laundry will become slightly pink again one day...

T-Mac said...

Sorry that he'll be gone...it sounds like you're looking for good things about this, though, so that's ok I guess. Still, hang in there!

The History Enthusiast said...

Jimmy John's sandwiches are my favorite late night food, especially when I am up writing lectures. I'm glad that you will be able to enjoy them again!

The History Enthusiast said...

Thanks for you comment on my site! I know that the rising heat might be a problem for me on the third floor, but I figured that it would work in my favor during the winter and mean that my heating bill would go down. And, hopefully it will stay cooler if I keep the blinds closed during the day while I am out and about.