Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kick me when I'm down, why don't you...

I think the reason the forum nonsense hit me so hard is that it came at the end of a long and stressful weekend.

I was tired, I'd worked hard at a tournament I didn't have an entry for... so I didn't even get the coach-adrenaline rush I've had in the past.

I was cranky because I knew I had lots of stuff to do.

I was also tired because the trip started with a 6 hour drive after class to Red State and then an early morning flight out to the Pacific northwest.

and... because the person making the accusations had excellent access to information that would have answered his concerns.

Add to that the idea that it was personal and accused hubby and I of both being disconnected from debate AND voting as a block, which is untrue and if it were true is unethical..

yea, it upset me.

Especially when I think about how much debate has interfered in my actual philosophical career. Add to that the actual, out of pocket money hubby and I have spent to help students compete and it was really insulting -- like none of that counts.

Personally, I'd love to tell the little m-f exactly how much 'debate' owes us... from mileage on the Jeep to hotel costs, video tapes, a broken laptop, missed hours at work, food costs, tournament and co-op entry fees and even tuition for one brilliant debater in need. Don't tell me we haven't been connected to debate in the last 8 years.

Then it really sunk in -- and I realized what the little m-f would have to do to even come close to meeting my qualifications to sit on the board of a national tournament.... and I realized that after he starts two teams from scratch, teaches numerous college students to debate without high school experience and starts a kid from his intro to philosophy class on a career path that ends with two consecutive 8th place nationals finishes -- then, and only then, can the little m-f criticize me.

Until then, he's just another GenMEer with internet access and a vindictive, cruel and stupid personality.

2 comments:

Chaser said...

There's alway a critic. Given what you write, it seems like your commitments and contributions are clear to you--and you are the person who matters. It's hard when people are so rude, but...people are rude and I swear they are getting ruder year by year. (I am turning into one of those old people who cranks about 'the young.' But it's not JUST the young!)

Fuggetdabastard.

The_Myth said...

Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door by Lynne Truss is a must-read regarding modern rudeness!

It really does make you feel comfortable that it's not just you feeling like an old codger!

;-)