Sunday, March 09, 2008

hints of spring...

  • I'm with a few of you, I like having more light in the evening... especially this week, as I'll be driving to Red State. It is quite possible that I'll be driving into the setting sun when I turn west, but that is much better than having it be pitch-dark well before I get to Corn State's only "city". Right now it is 7:00 and just starting to be twilight -- so, I'll be able to get most of the way to Hubby's before dark..
  • I'm sure I can handle the week before Spring Break -- it doesn't look all that bad... some discussions of proofs in logic, a discussion of animal rights and a debate about doing medical experiments on animals... not much to grade... yea, I can deal with that.
  • Wednesday I'm also having my first visit from my new cleaning person. She was one of my ethics students in my favorite class last semester... and one of my favorites in that class. During a class discussion she mentioned that she has her own business cleaning houses--- and I decided then and there that once grades were in, I'd hire her. She's pretty busy, so it has taken us a while to connect -- but, we've finally made a deal and she'll be here... YEA!
  • In many ways this has been a good winter -- mostly because we've always had some snow on the ground. I hate winter when it is really cold and brown outside -- a little white makes everything seem shiny and new, so it is ok...
  • On the other hand, spring will be a welcome break from the cold. I'm really looking forward to getting a little patio furniture and a few plants for my deck. I don't want many, but a couple of pots of flowers and a tomato plant would be wonderful.
  • I'm really, really, really looking forward to my gym opening the outdoor pool. Doing water aerobics outside in the morning is the best.. really, you get some sun, have fun and get in shape without getting hot, sweaty or dirty. Afterward we hang out in the hot tub and watch the families start their day at the pool. Yea, it will be good.
  • I have a lasagna in the oven -- I haven't made one for many years, so it should be fun -- tonight hubby and I will watch more of NCIS (we're close to the end of season 4, I think...). We've skipped a couple of episodes, but not many...
  • I finished our scarves this weekend. I made them in sections and then joined the sections together. Both are outrageously long, so I could probably have omitted a section or two, but the point of them was to keep warm when we are wearing our leather coats -- so I suppose long is good.
  • I'm starting on a random afghan, the only guidelines are that the sections will be as long as my crochet hook --- they'll be various widths and then I'll lay them out and hope it turns into an afghan... if it doesn't, I'll know what shapes to make to make it work out and I'll work them to fit... or, maybe I'll fill the gaps in with material or something... All the yarn is of similar weight and consistency, so it should go together ok...
  • I'm going to start another smaller afghan from the yarn I used on my scarf - it is really soft and fuzzy, so it isn't easy to work with. I'll make it in chunks too -- but it will be just big enough to go on my lap and over my knees -- maybe just down to my feet -- so I can use it in the office to cover my knees...

3 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

I am so ready for spring. And I love the time change.

Anonymous said...

hey, it's kind of a city.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

yea -- kind of... the thing is, even as compared to the pair of cities in Red State, it falls short -- and, since I'm from BN state -- where "the Cities" are--- I have to be snide about corn state's near-city...

(and, for those of you who really know Corn State, you'll know that the 'near-city' reference is to what they call their 3.2 beer -- 'near-beer'...).