Here's the scoop -- I do water aerobics with the mother of someone who teaches English Lit and comp at the college level on the East Coast.
His mother told me the following things today in the locker room --- which don't seem to add up.
1) He's currently working on his dissertation and he has no other PhD.
[I asked when he was going to defend, she didn't think he was that far along.]
2) "With his qualifications, I'd expect him to be teaching at Princeton."
3) He got many good offers from a variety of prestigious schools .
4) He decided to teach at a CC.
5) He's making more money at the CC --(which makes sense if he was an adjunct someplace or offered adjunct sections).
6) He has plenty of time to publish.
7) He's more or less in charge of the department --- this is his first year at the CC.
It sounds to me that mom is getting the sunny side of things -- perhaps her boy-genius got tenure-track offers from highly ranked schools ABD, but from the sounds of things he's blowing sunshine up her backside to keep her off his back.
I'm not about to blow his cover -- because I suspect his parents made plenty of money in business and she'd give him a hard time if he wasn't successful in her eyes --
but, for my own information -- is this scenario likely?