Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A hypothetical marriage question...

So, say for instance that you are a 20-something guy.

You've been living with and living off of your stripper girlfriend for a couple of years, at least...

One of your grandparents is ill and would like to see you married before they die...

Is marrying your stripper girlfriend the way to make the grandparent happy?

Do you think the grandparent would be proud to know that you won't work enough to buy her the ring -- So, the wedding ring was purchased with money from earned by stripping?

Is this really ok?

Not that I'm at all against stripping or strippers...but, I don't like to see them supporting no-good men.

3 comments:

Avalon said...

Actually, the question is....are you the no-good guy?

Being an entertainer is a job, not a personality. You marry someone for who they are, not what they do for a living.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I actually don't have a problem with what she's doing for a living.... at all. I really like her and respect her in many ways -- she's brave and not at all afraid to work for what she wants...

What bothers me is that he's willing to let her take her clothes off -- AND pressure her into marriage by using his grandparents -- who really wouldn't approve of how she makes a living (because of religious and generational issues...).

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

and... if your question isn't rhetorical -- I'm not the guy in my hypothetical question -- I'm female... but I've had a chance to see the couple interact over the course of an academic year....

The question isn't why he'd want to marry her -- the question is about the grandparent aspect of the marriage...