Sunday, December 10, 2006

Ah... finals week

Hubby and I went out with Brain and his girlfriend, Quiet Girl. We went to a place we've never been to before. It is kind of a cool concept -- they serve comfort food with a twist and have a plethora of board games and video games to play.

Brain and Quiet Girl beat us at Outburst -- then Brain beat hubby at Pac Man... and we went home.

It was actually more fun than it sounds -- the atmosphere was fun/funky/casual, the food was good, the company was better and a good time was had by all.

The nice thing was that I didn't have to study for finals -- because I'm GIVING THEM... haa haa.... So, tonight, while I had a nice eveing out with friends, my students had to stay home and study... or at least they should have stayed home to study.

Sure, I have to grade the stuff they turn in -- but that isnt' a big deal. I can handle grading 70 or so logic exams, 13 ethics portfolios and 35 ethics take-home exams...

The logic exams will be extra-easy this time because I reduced the number of problems required of my A students -- as a reward for earning an A during the semester. Their final grades will be easy to calculate, as I determine it by what they get on the final. If they finish only the "C" level problems (the easiest ones...) they'll get a C in the course etc... thus, my final grade calculations are done by the time I'm done grading their exams.

I'm going to have to do some math to figure out which of the Ethics take-home finals I'll need to grade. It is worth 50 points out of 400 or so... which means that just turning it in is sufficient for some students to get the next highest grade... thus, make sure it is worth 5 out of 50 and don't really have to read it.

The only things that will take some time are my honors ethics portfolios. They are worth a large number of points in the class and consist of two revised papers and two abstracts. Having most of the points come from revised papers has kept the class going all semester... so I'll probably do it next time I teach honors.

No comments: