Saturday, October 21, 2006

Another tournament...

I feel like I do a lot of complaining about debate here -- and, while I do complain about it, there are also positive things, so I'll start with those.

Pros...
At least this one has a lot of my friends in the judge pool.... (I'll do a separate post on that one...)

not that my debaters actually got ANY of them as judges... well, one --- but, out of 12 prelim rounds (6 per team) you'd think that more of them would have popped up. That was more bad luck than anything.

I also like this tournament because I know where everything IS. We lived in this city for 9 years. I've been at this tournament, on this campus for 10 years. I know how to find all the buildings and I know where to hang out in the student center (like I am right now) for the best people watching.

I also like the person who is in charge of the program here. He's a close friend and very wise in his distracted way...

Cons...
The schedule is brutal on the first day. On campus by 8:30ish, leave and second dinner by 10:00 PM.

The tournament requres preparation and walking to rounds to happen in 15 minutes. This impacts the quality of debate, as students don't have enough time to develop arguments. This is especially hard for new debaters, like mine -- when a few more minutes with me might have helped...

No comments: