Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Handing over control

I had a meeting with the comm studies people at BNCC about debate.

We discussed the current program and the options for continuing it. It was very interesting to see how another department works and the way personalities play out.

The final decision was the best case scenario, although it will more than likely result in a format change from parliamentary debate to policy debate. The other debate coach on-campus has a strong policy debate background and he's willing to give it a try.

I trust that he understands the students, the requirements of policy debate an the challenges that he faces. I don't see how it will work out, but he does and I trust him. At worst, they'll end up changing over to parliamentary debate.

So, next year will be the first year in 10 that I haven't coached debate. I find that both liberating and scary. I think my friend is in a place in his life that he's ready to take on a challenge like this -- and I hope it works out for him.

Personally, I can't wait to actually HAVE a spring break and a full winter break -- I haven't had either for a while.

2 comments:

Arbitrista said...

You must be having some very mixed feelings, letting something go after that long. Hope you enjoy those breaks, though!

Cptn. Backfire said...

I hope all goes well with the transition both in the way of keeping your program alive and in backing away from the debate community. It's a hard thing to do. I really don't know when I'm going to do it. But I look forward to it as much as I'm scared of it.

NPDA still, right?