Friday, February 02, 2007

Groundhog's day..

The Official Groundhog didn't see his shadow. The legend says that we won't have 6 more weeks of winter... i.e. that spring will be here within 6 weeks. That must be great news to all the people who are freezing in BN state this weekend, although they don't seem all that excited about it around here. It is supposed to be in the 60s and 70s and sunny here this weekend-- which sounds like summer to me.

When I was a kid I had Groundhog's day backwards.

I thought that the Groundhog seeing his shadow was a good thing. I thought that if he saw his shadow, winter would be ONLY 6 more weeks. If he didn't see his shadow, I thought that winter would last more than 6 weeks....

This went along with my experience of the world -- in my context it was correct. Winter ending before mid-March simply didn't compute. The end of February can't be spring... that is winter, as is most of March most years. It is my experience that the first possible month of spring is April.

1 comment:

Seeking Solace said...

Hee! I grew up near Punxsutawney PA, so I am well versed in all things groundhog!

I hope the rodent is right!