Thursday, June 01, 2006

Domestic -- I need good summer food ideas...

It is officially summer -- i don't buy that summer starts June 21 -- more like June 1...

So--- I need some good summer food suggestions.

Good summer foods require minimal cooking, as cooking heats up the house...

They are fresh tasting and pretty quick to prepare --or, they can be made in big batches and kept in the fridge for a few days of munching..

For example, I love veggie sandwiches... compile the following:
your favorite nutty/grainy bread
light cream cheese
sprouts
good tomato (not those ones with red skins and pink insides... )
thin slices of cucumber...

BLTs and tuna sandwiches are also good...

Keep in mind that I don't have an actual grill... only a George Foreman machine...

2 comments:

MommyProf said...

Mediterranean pasta salad. I boil up a big box of farfalle, rinse it in cold water and add chopped, seeded cucumbers and summer tomatoes, red onion, stinky black olives, capers if I am ambitious, grilled chicken if I am super ambitious (usually not) and a whole lot of crumbled feta cheese, bought at a warehouse store. Mix in a bit of dressing - balsamic vinagrette is good, if you want to make a Greek Dressing, knock yourself out. Add a little more dressing before serving over the 5 days that this will keep in the fridge if you keep it covered.

I also think two or 3 ears of corn on the cob and a sliced, salted perfect summer tomato is a respectable summertime meal.

dr four eyes said...

Gazpacho. Can't go a summer without it. In fact, I was thinking of making some this weekend.

No cooking required, though there is some chopping and blending. Stick it in the fridge and you're good for a week.