Thursday, May 04, 2006

Teaching -- syllabus revision

I've had an attendance policy, miss 4 classes (two weeks) and you are out of the class on absence #5.

I'm not so sure I want to keep that policy... On one hand I'm not sure I want to have an attendance policy at all.... On the other hand, it seems like when I have such a policy I'm saying that 4 absences are ok, but #5 is an auto-F/W...

I dont think there is such a line I can draw..

I'm thinking abou the following... keep in mind that I teach classes that meet twice per week. I also have a policy that provides for excused absences for documented illness, hospitilization, military service or college activites.

Absence #3, 5% end of semester grade reduction
Absence #4, 15% end of semester grade reduction
Absence #5, 25% end of semester grade reduction
Absence #6, 35% end of semester grade reduction
Absence #7, attendance failure. (i.e. 50% grade reduction -- it is mathematically impossible to pass the class.).

Comments??? Especially those of you who are soon to be former students/debaters / people whose opinions I respect :).

8 comments:

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I don't know if you respect my opinion or not, but I think the graduatal reduction of end-of-semester grade is reasonable.

Seeking Solace said...

I think that sounds very reasonable. If I could get away with that at my college, I would do the same thing! Sometimes you have to hit them where it hurts…with the grade!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Terri --- of course I respect your opinion :)...

I'm sure I could get away with it, as my administration will support whatever is in my syllabus. Many would say that my new policy is more permissive than most of the other faculty.

T-Mac said...

I think this change is reasonable. I don't think asking students to come to class is out of line, especially given that any legit missed class doesn't count.

MommyProf said...

We are required to take roll and flunk students if they miss more than 1/4 of the class meetings - a policy that I detest. I teach adults and would like to expect them to act that way. The hard lesson that I don't repeat classes for individuals who skip them would a good way to ensure maturation and more effective, I think, than a blanket policy.

comebacknikki said...

I think that's very reasonable. My policy allows the students three unexcused absences; each absence after that results in a 5% reduction of their final grade.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

sheesh. blatant typo. 5 minutes in the penalty box. You'd think I might actually read what I type before I click "login and publish."

Chaser said...

My studio absence policy looks like this:

1 Absence = 50 point reduction in grade

2 absences = 500 point reduction in grade

3 absences = fired from the studio.