Friday, May 12, 2006

Teaching -- I'm glad I checked

Before I gave an "F -- you didn't turn the paper in" I wanted to make sure the paper wasn't in my office "stuff I took to class to hand back, but you weren't there to get" bin...

It turns out that two of my slacker students had stuff in there one hadn't been graded -- it must have been handed in late enough that it was between the stuff I ploped in there when things were returned. Another's class attendance was so bad that she didn't realize her paper (maybe plagarized, frankly I don't give a crap) was only answer to part of the question...

I'm going to grade these and hope it makes a difference in their grades. The second one may very well not make a difference.. the first may make the difference...

Either way, I'm glad i checked.

1 comment:

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I'm glad you checked, too! I've known of people whose careers have been damaged by losing papers - apparently, if the student outcry is sufficently large (in this case, approximately 100% of a giant section), it matters.