Friday, May 12, 2006

Teaching -- an open letter to my students

Well ladies and gentlepeople,

it is the end of the semester. I just entered your grades. You will get them soon. It is time for a semester review..

A few of you made me proud. You worked hard to understand hard stuff and you actually got it. I hope I taught you something in the process, even if you don't use the information in your normal life (when would you use DeMorgan's law anyway??).

A few of you made me laugh. Either at what you wrote (laugh both at you and with you -- sorry...), or at what you said. The fact that you can add some fun to my class and thus my job . thanks.

A few of you made me mad. Mostly when you lied to me about stuff. When you were rude to me or your classmates, when you cheated or when you generally acted like a twit in class.

A few of you disappointed me. More accurately, you dissapointed yourselves. You slacked-off, decided not to do the assignments and generally set yourself up for failure -- or at least a D. When I make an assignment, I actually expect you to -- you know -- do it.

A few of you overcame challenges. You set-out to fail and decided to do otherwise. I hope you've learned a lesson--- to actually DO the work when it is assigned is a good idea for future college succss.

And... now, my mind is mine -- not yours. My concerns this summer will be about ME.

i'll let you know how it works out--- and I'll see you in August.

No comments: