Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Syllabi update...

3 done (well, the two logic ones are pretty similar... but, one being T/Th and the other M/W makes things complicated -- as BNCC has one more T/Th class than M/W class AND random holidays...grr).

The Ethics syllabus is pretty interesting -- I'm putting ethical theory and applied ethics topics together -- For example, when we talk about the death penalty, we also talk about social contract theory -- and when we talk about euthanasia we also talk about utilitarianism...

They'll be doing a pretty decent amount of writing, but no quizzes or exams. Rather, 6 3ish page papers, a bunch of smaller assignments and a 'researched opinion' paper of about 5-7 pages --- that includes a draft... it is pretty ambitious for a class of 50. I also suspect I won't have 50 by the end, as it is a night class and those folks often have more complications that prevent them from finishing.

Tomorrow -- Biomedical Ethics -- which should include a guest speaker -- my oncologist. He's agreed to do it -- so I hope we can coordinate my syllabus and his schedule :).

No comments: