Friday, January 16, 2009

Late adds --- am I being unreasonable?

I'm teaching two night classes this semester. They meet once a week.

Students can add the class to their schedule independently -- even after the first meeting. I don't like that, but there is nothing I can do about it. The open add period ended yesterday -- after both evening classes have met once... i.e. after we've had a full week of class.

Now I have students asking for my signature on an add slip. I've been telling them no.

In one class, they'll have a writing assignment due next week -- yep, it's quick and I did it on purpose because I don't like the late add thing... there are ways that mean missing it won't be fatal to their grade, but generally we need to hit the ground running.

In the other, they're missing class on Monday for MLK day -- and the following week they have something due.

For the ones who tell me that they either added the class late OR their dog ate their car keys and thus they couldn't make it to class -- I tell them where to get the class handouts. I'm guessing that maybe 1 of them, total, will do this on their own.

You know what, I don't feel bad about that at all. The handouts were available in class -- choosing not to come to class (especially the first one of the semester) is risky, eh?

4 comments:

Rose said...

I do this, too. I don't think it's unreasonable.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Especially since the assignment due on Wednesday is one of a series -- I don't take them late, but I do drop the lowest score AND they can do a make-up to replace a low score.

julie said...

You're being perfectly reasonable -- I appreciate colleagues who do the same thing I do. Can you say "institutional integrity"?

Minnesota Matron said...

TOTALLY reasonable! Just Say No, sweetheart.