Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cold and yummy....

Once again it's cold in BNstate -- yea, so? I've decided that I'm not leaving the house until Monday.... we'll see how long that lasts. I've been home since about 1:30 yesterday. I've pretty much decided that I'm not going out (although, I may go see a movie Hubby doesn't want to see... so this resolve may not last). I've also decided that, since I'm home, I should cook.

I've had a hankering for chili. The problem is that chili often gives me the same "issues" as others. Also, I'd have to go out to get the rest of the things I'd need... so, I got creative.

I started with a pound of buffalo meat (because that's what I had in the freezer and had defrosted).
I added about 1/2 onion and browned it --- adding some garlic powder.
I then put in two cans of black beans, 1 can of tomato sauce, two cans of mushrooms and the spices for chili. I didn't drain any of the cans.... their juice is good :).

As that was cooking I cooked the rigatoni I found in the cupboard.

When the pasta was done and drained, I dumped the other pan into it and started stirring...

It didn't look saucy enough, so I added two cans of tomato paste (no water -- just the paste -- it worked GREAT!).

Then, I ate a bowl. It was a little hot, even with the cheese I threw on top.

So, I added a bunch of oregano and a couple of handfuls of brown sugar. The sample I ate was perfect!!

I'll eat it this weekend and will have lunches for Monday and Tuesday. If I get tired of it, I'll freeze it ---

7 comments:

Psych Post Doc said...

Sounds amazing. Enjoy your weekend in (or out). LOL

Chaser said...

That sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

Tell me you're from Cincinnati, just tell me...

That'd be neat.

Chili with pasta and cheese...

(I know you probably shouldn't respond to that.)

Or, if you don't know what Cincinnati chili is, ergo don't know what I'm talking about, I've got the best recipe for it this side of the DC 'burbs, for whatever that's worth. I'd be happy to share it.

timna said...

inspired us at the timna's and it's so good (ok we had ground beef)

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Nope--- I'm not from Cincinnati -- although my cousin now lives there...

Where I am is a bit colder --- think north of Iowa, West of Wisconsin and east of the Dakotas... and south of Canada :).

Anonymous said...

I had sort of believed that only Cincinnatians were into chili w/ cheese & pasta, i.e. the Three Way

(A 4 way is plus beans or onions, 5 way is plus both. And no, innuendos do not cross our minds when we order these things, it is just what our food is called.)

Anyway, I grew up there. I left a long time ago.

I didn't intend to ferret out your identity. I'm sorry if I seemed to be. I just assumed that, being in academia, you didn't live where you grew up (and have probably lived in a lot of different places). As soon as I submitted the comment, I wished I had worded it differently.

I've never been to the area in between the places you mentioned. But, I've met a lot of people who've said they like it there. Not that it wouldn't be better if it there was more Cincinnati Chili available in those parts...

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Meteechart -- no big deal -- I'm not very anonymous, I just don't want to be open to googling. -- so I don't use my name, but everyone who knows me and finds this figures it out right away.