Saturday, October 13, 2007

Notes from Grading Jail

  1. Kant's Categorical Imperative is NOT a "cornerstone of Christianity" . Kant did not live BEFORE CHRIST!
  2. Using the word "ridiculous" to characterize the idea that people ought to be motivated by reason and not bodily desire tells me that you are not capable of reason.
  3. "Absurd" also ought to be banned. Frankly, when I see it, I am enraged at the way in which you mis-understand the philosophical work AND the assignment. The assignment tells you to frame a thoughtful objection to an ethical theory, not to make an ad hominem attack on a well-respected philosopher.
  4. My goodness, how can you people get Kant so f-ing wrong? It isn't that hard -- and I gave you the basic ideas to look for at the end of class last time. Hint, I do that EVERY time because I'm the instructor and thus I know what is coming next. You make my head hurt.
  5. Having "autonomy" does not "imply that all people will think and act alike concerning their duties and obligations." In fact, it is the opposite... having autonomy does not equate to being an automaton...
  6. Follow the directions.... please! Listen in class when I tell you that you don't need to try to mash together Ross' prima facie duties with the reading on Feminist ethics.
  7. "Radical feminists are insane. That communal living stuff may have worked for the Native Americans but when you get all of those women together they'll fight"... yea, that is a good way to argue against feminist ethics, call them crazy... ever heard of an ad hom fallacy?

3 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Well, at least one of your students did write that doctors take the Hippopotamus Oath!

Arbitrista said...

oh dear oh dear.

Miss Kitty said...

Dear Gawd.

I see things that are almost as stupid in papers/exams...I'm suddenly glad I didn't major in philosphy. Otherwise I'd be completely insane by now. My hat is off to you, ITPF.

Thanks to the Far Right, Gingrich, O'Reilly, etc. for the contentious and hateful political climate in our country. They've made ad hominem the norm. And today's college students honest-to-God think FOX is "fair and balanced" and see no problem with it.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?