Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dean Dad says it so well...

Go read his post...
"I like the idea that a kid without the money to 'go away' to college has access to the same academic rigor as the kid with rich parents. A former colleague of mine used to say that algebra is a civil right, and I agreed with him. To offer the less-well-off a diluted product offends my egalitarian sensibilities. If we're serious about access, it has to be access to academic rigor. Otherwise we're just babysitting. The rigor should be fair and impartial, and we need to explore the right mix of support services, tutoring, and the like to help students succeed, but that's okay. At the end of the day, the best service we can do is to provide a truly higher education, even if it takes some doing. Which it does."

This is why I do so many of the things I do at BNCC... why I'm on the Honors Council, why my next project is to push for writing intensive courses, why I designed my Logic course the way I do and why I'm going to have to give some students I find nice and charming not so good grades in Biomedical Ethics. This is why I go out of my way to work and promote the tutor program, why I started the debate team and why I've done assessment projects.

Thanks Dean Dad!

No comments: