Monday, June 23, 2008

A certain kind of confidence...

Some people have confidence I just can't muster...

Anastasia's PH is quitting his well-paid (and presumably soul sucking) job to pursue his intellectual interest in philosophy. He has a wonderful wife and kids -- albeit a wife who declined a T-T job because the location didn't work with his school -- so, as she notes, she'll get paid next spring to adjunct, but as of now doesn't have a steady paycheck.

I do hope it works out for them -- and knowing them, I'm sure it will... but, being on the other side of the 'I should get a PhD in philosophy' decision' and having done it a very different way and knowing what I know-- I couldn't do what Anastasia and PH are doing...

I suppose, in the end, I'm jealous of that kind of confidence. PH is taking a risk I don't think I could take. He's leaving a well-paid job that is flexible enough to move with Anastasia.. he's betting that his philosophical point of view will be worthy in the highly competitive philosophy job market. He's also comfortable asking his family to move across the country to pursue his intellectual desires.

Maybe it is a gender difference, maybe the difference between us is rooted in economic experiences or some other kind of confidence... but, while I admire it, I can't imagine doing it.

1 comment:

Bardiac said...

Yep. I couldn't either. I thought I was taking a HUGE risk going back to school with just me to think of.

I wish them well!