Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How to tell it kind of cold out there....

... yea, I'm a BN state native. True, we rarely admit it is cold, but I'm going to 'fess up, -33 windchill is cold.

and I've finally admitted it to myself ---
  • Yesterday I finally got out my huge coat... the black one with the hood. I didn't want to have to face the icy wind on the way out to my car after my night class -- yea, it was cold.
  • This morning I decided to order groceries and have them delivered because I didn't want to go out in the cold. My groceries will arrive between 3 and 5 today -- YEA!
  • I decided to go swimming around noonish, so I can take advantage of the "warm" part of the day. Even with a warm coat, going out to my cold car after being in the warmish/wet pool and then the dry sauna is just shocking... it is better if I don't have to be too shocked.
The good news is that there is a book out, whose conclusion is that the happiest people are in cold climates. His theory is that we have to cooperate to live, thus we are happier... So, those of you who are feeling smug in your nice, warmish climates... we are happy here -- really... (or, maybe I ought not believe every book thesis I hear on the radio while typing blog posts -- hmm).

1 comment:

hubby said...

The good news is that there is a book out, whose conclusion is that the happiest people are in cold climates. His theory is that we have to cooperate to live, thus we are happier.

This has long been a theory of why northern European countries developed large social-welfare institutions -- because they had a cultural tradition that valued cooperation as necessary to communal survival.