Thursday, August 20, 2009

On catly intuition...

The Queen is officially "fine". She's had two consecutive clean blood tests. She's getting back to her own sassy self and she's catching up on her sleep.

The thing is, I'm continually thankful that I made the connection between the lilies and her getting sick. She isn't a cat who pukes (we haven't had much use for the spot bot since extra-toes died), so that was a clue. On the other hand, I've been known to write a couple of small puke spots off as an upset tummy and do nothing about it.

From what I can gather, if I'd done that -- and if Hubby had agreed -- she'd probably be dead of kidney failure now -- instead of taking up her normal spot immediately in front of the TV.

The vet said that my quick action (and a bunch of cash for the Emergency vet) saved her life. He told us that the only other case he's seen of cat v lilly ended badly -- because the owner waited a couple of days before bringing the cat in. At that point, the only possible treatment was a kidney transplant -- and they just don't do those for cats.

Again -- I can't say enough for my vet -- locals should go to the Silver Lake Animal hospital -- the vet is amazing, smart, intuitive and good with both people and pets. He also has a fantastic set of vet techs -- and they work well as a team.

Call it divine intervention, or catly intuition - -or just dumb luck -- I'm glad we decided to act quickly. With any luck (and an absence of flowers) she'll live to be an old cranky, disapproving kitty... just as we like her!

3 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

I am so glad she is doing better. People wouldn't think of waiting to take their human children to the ER. It's no different with our children with fur.

Carolyn Schriber said...

Add iris to your list of no-nos. My teenaged son brought me a bouquet of 1 tulip, 1 daffodil, and 1 iris. I put them in a vase on the table and thought nothing of it when young cat took a nibble of the purple one. A day later she was dead, my son was devastated, and I swore off flowers in the house.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Oh how sad! I'm sorry your kitty didn't survive.