Tuesday, April 17, 2007

getting used to the Long Distance Relationship

When I told a faculty friend about hubby and I converting to a long-distance relationship, she said, "you've been married for 16 years, you'll looove it!".

I can't say she was right.

I can say that I'm finally used to it. It officially happened yesterday. Hubby left and I didn't feel like I was about to cry. I take that as a sign of adjustment.

I also find that I'm much more comfortable home alone. I find that I like my non-teaching Tuesdays and can easily spend quite a while without seeing another person... perhaps that is my closet-introvert coming out? I've also found that I enjoy going to movies by myself -- and I go to movies he'd never agree to see.

On the other hand, perhaps the reason I end up staying at school late on Monday nights is that I don't want to go home to a freshly quiet apartment. I also don't find myself eating foods he doesn't like.

Of course, just when I'm getting used to living partially alone, his semester is almost over and he'll be home for the summer in a couple of weeks. Isn't that just my luck. I'll get used to living with him over the summer only to have him go back to Red State next year for another year.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I so feel for you. There's no real moment where you're magically adjusted, but at the same time it can be nice to have a tiny bit of space (that said, LDRs are generally where we have way too much time apart!). I found I liked a lot of evenings where I was just chilling with my cat. But now that we're in the same place again, I can't say I'd willingly go back to LDR setup.